Jewellery photography is another kind of art that requires an eye for details, effective use…
You’ve found your photographer, you’ve got the jewellery pieces you want to showcase… so what comes next? Where to start? These 5 steps will guide you to the perfect Jewellery Photoshoot.
- Brand– First things first, and we’re not teaching you to suck eggs here, but brand awareness and identity is key to any photoshoot. You know your brand inside and out- your colour pallet, your target demographic, your unique selling points- ensure that everything you envision for the shoot- is on brand. Your brand is the heart of the photoshoot. Don’t lose sight!
- Model– Next, the part that people find the most exciting thing about a photoshoot- choosing a model. It’s easy to get caught up in the beautiful faces- Keep in mind your target demographic for your jewellery, this will help greatly when it comes to choosing the face of your brand. Most jewellery will appeal to all ages so do bear this in mind choosing a model.Key things to look for in a jewellery model to ensure your jewellery is shown in the best way- a defined jawline, size and shape of earlobes are aesthetically pleasing, a long neck, and beautiful hands. These things may seem odd to be nit picking at – but trust me beautiful earrings, need beautiful lobes!
- Make-up Artist– The next thing to consider is Hair stylist and make-up artist, with any jewellery photography the photos are usually up close in order to obtain maximum detail of the jewellery. Therefore, skin and hair must look immaculate. Having a professional make-up artist who knows how to prep and prime skin in order to make it blemish free is integral. As is having a hair stylist- fluffy or flyaway hair will distract from the pieces of jewellery.
- Fashion– Choosing fashion pieces to suit your jewellery pieces is key! The clothes, of course must look good- but don’t fall into the trap of “more is more”. Using classic clothes, and neutral colours can ensure that the clothing is not over-shadowing the jewellery. If you have a delicate gold chain, Steer clear from bright and bold prints… you will lose the jewellery. Your jewellery should be the first thing the consumer sees… not the clothing!
- Fashion– Choosing fashion pieces to suit your jewellery pieces is key! The clothes, of course must look good- but don’t fall into the trap of “more is more”. Using classic clothes, and neutral colours can ensure that the clothing is not over-shadowing the jewellery. If you have a delicate gold chain, Steer clear from bright and bold prints… you will lose the jewellery. Your jewellery should be the first thing the consumer sees… not the clothing!Remember, point one? Stay on brand, even when you’re choosing fashion. If you are a timeless classic jeweller do not get pulled into the “on trend” fashion hole! Stay true to your brand!
- Set– Will it be a studio with a colorama roll back drop for the ultimate classic shots? A studio lifestyle set (Lounge room, Restaurant, bedroom)? Or will you go on location (a field full of lavender, a manor house, a swimming pool)?
The options are endless. Be sure that you have thought out your story, what do you want to convey with your shoot? Once you have decided your story the set will follow.
So there we have it- my 5 top tips to ensuring you are fully prepped for a fantastic jewellery photoshoot!
And ps…. At Flat Frog Studios we can help you with all of the above!